The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Corporal Dean A. Wells (MCSN: 506269), United States Marine Corps Reserve, for extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty while serving as a member of a demolition team of Company C, First Battalion, Twenty-Ninth Marines, SIXTH Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands, 15 May 1945. When his platoon’s advance was temporarily halted by intense hostile fire emanating from a strongly defended enemy ridge, Corporal Wells courageously led a demolition team forward through the rain of hostile fire and directed his men in destroying one of three strong points. As the overwhelming fire superiority of the Japanese made it impossible for his team to continue, he voluntarily crawled forward alone across an exposed area to destroy another position and, after obtaining additional grenades and demolitions, again braved the hail of enemy shrapnel and bullets to assault the ridge. Although seriously wounded, he succeeded in neutralizing the third pocket of resistance and enabled his platoon to advance and secure the ridge. By his personal valor, initiative and aggressive fighting spirit, Corporal Wells upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.
- » Wilsonville Parks & Rec in February 2019
- » City, County Accepting Grant Applications; Awards to Fund Tourism & Community Projects
- » Special Travel Presentation “Islands of New England”. Jan 29th. RSVP to CCC office.
- » Paint & Pour. Feb 1. 3-5pm
- » City Seeks Public Comment on Draft Community Investment Strategy for Arts, Culture and Heritage. Until Jan 28th.
- » Jan 29: Charbonneau Shuttle Training & Coffee at Starbucks. Register today.
- » The Charbonneau Arts Association to donate $4000 each to the art programs at Wilsonville and Canby High Schools
- » CWA January 14th Luncheon: “Cowgirls & Ranch Women”
- » The Facebook “Friend Request” Scam is Back
- » Our Public Library in January